Watching the #KenBurns#CountryMusic has me on max nostalgia. My Gram’s #friedpotatoes also my notes through the first half:
1. They really did Ernest Tubb dirty. Everyone saying he couldn’t sing.. what?! Sarah Carter, Roy Acuff, and Bill Monroe physically hurt my ears.. but ET was under talented?! Like it or not but he was the only one carrying Jimmie Rodgers to Hank Williams. Without ET there is no country music.
2. Holy hell yes they have been working on this a LONG time! Most of their interviews have been dead for several years.
3. They are handling Deep South race relations really well, because Ken Burns. Want to hear more about Sam Phillips.
4. Bob Wills and Western Swing is cooler than anything in Nashville until Johnny Cash. We knew this but it really came through.
5. All this Minnie Pearl, I really hope they mention Jerry Clower
6. Not enough Lefty or Webb Pierce even though they played There Stands The Glass over other stories, which was cool.
7. Carl Smith was important. Everyone ignores him to make June look more in character (innocent).. but he was great.
8. Brenda Lee is still alive and looks better than people a THIRD her age. 🤯
9. Of all the music this series makes me want to sit and listen to Faron Young the most, and the kiss story after Hello Walls is the best nugget. (Close second Little Jimmy Dickens story about Hey Good Lookin)
10. Looking at the pictures and hearing the stories, Jessica Lange’s Patsy Cline was just as good as Sissy Spacek’s Loretta Lynn. #FightMe
11. Ronnie Milsap’s saying “Ray Charles listened to the radio the same way I do” about soul/country being the same #gold 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 12. I really haven’t learned much.. Between TNN and Bill Anderson’s show on XM, I knew who sang and wrote what and the best stories.. country music was so central to my culture growing up ❤️❤️