Broccoli sprouts 🌱🌱
Over the past week and a half, I did a little experiment growing broccoli sprouts. What I found was this - it was easy and it was cheap. I have no experience of growing things so I can say with absolute confidence that anyone could do it 😂
What you need:
• 1 packet of broccoli sprout seeds (cost: ~3 euro)
• Tupperware box
• 3-4 sheets of kitchen roll
• Water 💧
How to do it: • Soak the sheets of kitchen roll with water and layer them on top of each other along the bottom of a flat Tupperware box
• Sprinkle the seeds over the soaked paper. Spread them out so they don't overlap. • Leave the Tupperware box in a dark room until you start to see the seeds sprouting (about 2-3 days). Keep the paper soaked with water.
• Move the Tupperware box to somewhere near natural light but not in direct sunlight (they're weak to sunlight and heat).
• Keep them well watered and they should grow to what you see in the pictures in about 10 to 14 days
(So easy and hassle free)
Why you would eat broccoli sprouts:
Broccoli sprouts, among other cruciferous vegetables, are the best source or a phytochemical called sulforaphane. The health benefits comes from its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. If you're interested, you can swipe to see a 2019 review looking at the promising research of the potential neuroprotective effects of sulforaphane - this has implications for many neurological diseases including Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease, epilepsy, stroke and many others 🧠
Happy growing 🌱🌱